Slices are an Australian favourite that pop up on dessert tables and cafe menus across the country and this particular recipe has been handed down to me from my mum… and just slightly tweaked by me!
I have a collection of fast, festive, no-bake treats that I can whip up in no time for any occasion with just a few staple ingredients. These recipes are simple yet effective crowd pleasers that have friends and family begging for the recipe. They can be adapted to any time of year simply by adding to or slightly altering the ingredients. Give it your own twist or take a look at some of the suggested variations below for inspiration.
ZESTY LEMON SLICE
1 packet of Marie biscuits crushed fine
2/3 tin of condensed milk
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 scant cup of desiccated coconut
125g of melted butter
LEMON GLAZE ICING
11/2 cups of icing sugar
Juice of half a small lemon
1/2 teaspoon of butter
1 tablespoon hot water
Place the biscuits in a food processor and blend to a fine crumb then put them in a large mixing bowl. Add coconut and lemon rind and stir until just combined. Pour in condensed milk and melted butter and combine. Ensure all dry ingredients are incorporated before pressing the mixture into a slice tin or container lined with baking paper. I actually use a 15 cm x 27 cm Tupperware container so that I can place a lid on the slice once set and stack them in the fridge until needed. Once mixture is pressed into the slice tin place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes. While the slice is setting make the glaze by combining icing sugar, lemon juice, hot water and butter and stir until well combined. The glaze should run off the spoon. Note: if the lemon is quite juicy add a little less to the mix to avoid an overly sour taste to the glaze.
Remove the slice from the fridge and pour icing over the top. Sprinkle with dessicated coconut and return to the fridge to set.
- Don’t crush the biscuits too fine, it loses texture and the slice doesn’t set firmly
- You may prefer to set the icing at room temperature and then return to the fridge
- For a drier slice add only 1/2 tin of condensed milk
- Make a lemon buttercream frosting for a sweeter dessert style slice add 1 tablespoon of butter and beat with electric mixer for a fluffier consistency
- Use toasted shaved coconut as a topping on the icing
- Drizzle white chocolate over the top instead of icing
- Substitute lime for the lemon to make lime slice
- Make a passionfruit icing – substitute juice of half a lemon for one tablespoon of passionfruit pulp